Giving Tuesday may have eclipsed on the East Coast but it’s still Tuesday in Silicon Valley! On this day dedicated globally towards highlighting philanthropy and the value and importance of giving back, volunteering and helping those less fortunate, here are eight tech-focused or related charities that you should consider donating time, money or efforts towards this Tuesday or near future.
1. One Laptop Per Child has donated over 2 million laptops and tablet devices to kids around the world .The gadgets are small, inexpensive (about $200 each) and designed to be kid-friendly. Consider donating HERE!
2. Wikipedia, without it, how would you prove mundane facts or get through your research paper without this suppository of crowd-source edited and created information? It’s not free but run by volunteers and is a nonprofit. Consider Donating HERE!
3. Architecture For Humanity innovate and design for at-risk communities around the world — those refurbishing after natural disasters and those that have always been in need. Consider Donating HERE!
4. TechAccess helps people of color that are already underrepresented in STEM fields and bridge the learning and opportunity gap for low-income and minority-heavy districts. The programs have a college focus, and students from the program’s new TAF Academy partnerships have matriculated at colleges and universities like Bard and Xavier. Consider donating HERE!
5. Black Girls Code was launched to expand opportunities for black girls and young women to develop an interest in and skills related to coding, science, technology and math. Consider donating HERE!
6. Child’s Play is an organization that delivers toys and video games to hospital-bound children. Consider donating HERE!
7. Girls Who Code programs work to inspire, educate, and equip girls with the computing skills to pursue 21st century opportunities. Consider donating HERE!
8. Code For America connects local and state governments with refurbished computers, create software and apps for local bodies to help governing work for the people and be best responsive. Consider donating HERE!